Friday, April 15, 2022

Brokenness of Jesus a Means of Healing

            


             Jesus experienced an intense form of brokenness when he was rejected by his own, including his most intimate followers, and crucified at Calvary. We hear this most poignantly in his cry of isolation to his Abba, Father: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Matthew 27: 46). Dr. James Adams beautifully writes about the brokenness of Jesus on the cross. In his booklet, Cross Examinations: Stations Of The Cross, one can hear the voice of Jesus saying, 

I was dying – and it hurt. I was alone, so utterly alone. I had never felt that way before. I was sinking to hell and wondered if I would come back. I said, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” … Some of you may think I cried “My God, why have you forsaken me?” only because I was reciting a psalm or fulfilling a Scripture passage. But I said that because I felt it profoundly. I was lost. I was despairing, even if I didn’t stay in despair for very long. This cry was not pretending. How could it be? Could I have lived and died as a man without experiencing despair and doubt? 

Adams in the above reflection states that even Jesus in his experience of abandonment on the Cross felt extreme brokenness. If Jesus experienced such intense form of brokenness then can we escape from brokenness? Truly Jesus experienced human brokenness, as the letter to Hebrews also says that he became like us in all ways, except sin. The brokenness of Jesus was not the result of his sins, as can be the case with our brokenness. His brokenness does not bring brokenness to others, but instead brings healing. Can we also allow God to use our brokenness as a means of blessing and healing for others and ourselves? 


John Baptist OFM Cap. | Clinical Counselor & Psychospiritual Resource Person | Pennsylvania, USA


Notes

John Baptist, 2021, Brokenness to Wholeness, Delhi: Media House. 

 

7 comments:

  1. Meaningful and a lesson to each one to be ready to accept the brokenness in life

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is esteeme happiness in utter brokenness.Beatiful lesson..

    ReplyDelete
  3. By His brokenness we are made whole. May we all be willing and ready to be broken for Him who died for us that we may have eternal life with Him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So grateful to The Father for giving us Jesus. 😍

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well explained. There is much to reflect on especially during this Holy Week. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading the article and posting your comments.
If needed I can be contacted at dearbaptist@yahoo.co.in or +919319925330 (WhatsApp only).

Peace,
John Baptist OFM Cap.
Pastoral Clinical Counselor
San Antonio, TX, USA