Friday, August 2, 2024

Envy: Betrayal of Authenticity


Envy is a common human experience. Yet, allowing envy to take control of my thoughts, feelings, and life can limit my joy and optimal growth. Living a life controlled by envy takes away my authenticity. Monk Anselm Gruen explains envy very intricately as follows.

Envy makes its appearance in continuous comparisons with others. I can’t meet another person without comparing myself with that person. I immediately begin to appraise people, to value, devalue, and revalue them. I look for their weak points or downgrade their performance as inhibited or morbid, their success as illusory, their intelligence as weak, etc. And conversely, when I don’t succeed at this, I devalue myself and put others on a pedestal. 

In envy too I am not standing by myself, I am not content with myself, I have no sense of dignity. I recognize my value only by comparison with others. This is very exhausting. It either forces me to surpass others or plunges me into depression because I see no chance of holding my own [value] with others.[1]  

Overcoming envy requires emotional and spiritual growth, coupled with the recognition that I am inherently gifted and valuable in the eyes of God. When I look at myself with the divine vision, I can see who I really am. I am not lesser or inferior to others. Thus, I do not need to compare or to prove myself as inferior or equal or superior to others.[2] I no longer need to feel different or special because God has created only one me. 

Conversely, if I see myself as not unique but like many others, I compare and need to feel special — I labor to outshine others. Envy is a betrayal of my giftedness and authenticity. Only when I give up envy and genuinly connect with myself can I discover my unique capacity for creativity and transformation. An authentic encounter with myself is essential to open myself to joy and to attain optimal growth.

 

 

 



[1] Gruen, A. (1999). Heaven begins within you. A Crossroad Book (p. 74). 

[2] Riso, D. R. & Hudson, R (1999). The wisdom of the enneagram: The complete guide to psychological and spiritual growth for the nine personality types. Bantam Books (pp. 203 & 205).

2 comments:

  1. You give insight and clarity. Thanks Bro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciated! Great works.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading the article and posting your comments.
If needed I can be contacted at dearbaptist@yahoo.co.in or +919319925330 (WhatsApp only).

Peace,
John Baptist OFM Cap.
Pastoral Clinical Counselor
San Antonio, TX, USA